Friday, May 15, 2009

Putting my fashions on the field








In
times of desperation we do silly, out of character things.
Last week I was broke and unemployed. The


GBP

had run out and I was struggling to find how my skills and
experience were going to fit in here in Australia. In
despair I asked a young relative what she thought I was good
at, she pondered........... I began to worry. Finally she
replied “you're good at dressing up”. That's super I thought
(with a slight eye roll), but how can I make money out of
coordinating my mushroom patent waist belt with my up to the
minute jewel coloured tartan skirt? Enter a “dressing up
competition with a hefty cash prize” apparently. So I did,
but I didn't win. Who would have thought?



















The day/night equilibrium



Are there rules for appropriate wedding guest attire in the
21st Century? A dress code can help with tie selection and
dress length but it's the finer details I'm more concerned
with. I've heard that you should never wear white as to not
show up the bride. While others say never wear black “its
for funerals” (and fashion editors) only. My Mum says you
must always wear hosiery (black tie or cocktail) and my
grandmother says you must never attend without a hat (this
is her general rule for any function that involves a church
or a marquee). So many rules but not enough clarity for me.




When planning a wedding outfit I try to consider the season and time
of day the celebration is taking place. Weddings generally run in
two parts. Part One: The church service; generally

occurring
in the late afternoon when the sun is shining.
Followed by a short break where the wedding party have hundreds of
photos taken and guests begin to get suitably boozed. We then move
on to Part Two: which involves the reception celebration and meal,
often beginning around half 6 under the stars.
I find this 'day into night' thing the most difficult to get right.
It's all about finding the happy medium. I find cotton and any type
of floral print lovely for a church service but too garden party for
the dancing, drinking and swing band part. I fear satin or sheer
evening fabrics become too dressy and possibly too sexy for a parish
visit but are more than acceptable for a 3 course alternative drop
meal and a quick step with the handsome (hopefully single) best man–
are you seeing my conundrum?
Apparently in some parts of the world it's tradition to change
outfits in between the 2 parts. This of course would put an end to
my wedding outfit woes. Alas, in Australia this would be seen as
absurd,
OTT

and somewhat indecisive. I figure when its my turn I'll push the
boat out a little and host both parts in one part of the day.
Church, dancing and home before the sun even sets or better still a
service just after dusk and quick stepping all throughout the night.
This should solve the problem of my guests not getting it right
outfit wise.
**Oh and I've
also heard you should never wear the same colour as the invite, you
can almost guarantee the bridesmaids will rock up in it also. Which
of course would be a disaster. Someone needs to write a book about
all these wedding rules.
Hmmm...
There's a business idea in that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Perform Hajj

1. Hajj Preparations Hajj begins on the 8th day of Dhu al-Hijjah, when pilgrims make their intentions to undertake the pilgrimage by do...