Monday, June 15, 2009

A Change of Style

A Change of Style

Sometimes people try out new trends (whether it's shorts with boots or double denim)...and sometimes it's just not for them -and I commend them for at least giving it a try!...but I'd like to think that most of the time they find a part of themselves within this new trend that adds a whole new level to their self expression! It's so easy to be comfortable in your boot cut jeans, that you just forget how many different styles there are out there to experiment with :) well my friends...I'm trying out a new "trend" of my own- Australia!! I am trading in my boot cut jeans (aka Boston) for a pair of boyfriend jeans (aka Melbourne)! For the next three months I will be experiencing life, fashion, and photography from down under...and I plan to share as much of it with you guys as possible! One thing I plan to do is to get lost in the Laneways that Melbourne is renowned for. Visiting these narrow alley ways is like exploring a secret garden- every day can offer a new discovery! Nestled between the fire escapes and unmarked doors are one-off boutiques, unique galleries, tiny cafes and hidden bars that are waiting to take you on a detour away from mainstream culture. I can only imagine what fashionable treats for my eyes are waiting around each bend courtesy of Melbourne street style!

So as I start mentally packing and trying to mix and match outfits as much as possible...I am brought to a grinding halt! What do I wear on the plane?! Not rocket science- this I know...but with airports being so stuffy, planes being so cold, blankets being rationed and shoe removal only necessary sometimes...planning the travel outfit can be as much of an art form as managing to coordinate all your connecting flights! Luckily for me, I will only have my bag in tow and not the "companionship" of the paparazzi- so I'm going to be packing my heels and saving my sunglasses for sunnier locations ;)

Celebrity Airport Style

I do, however, plan to take a few cues from the celebrity jet-setter guide to a stylish-yet comfortable flight by sporting a scarf. It almost seems like a required part of the travel uniform- and for good reason! The scarf can double as additional warmth to your blanket or it can cover your face to shield your nap from your neighbors reading light- not to mention the oh-I-just-threw-this-old-thing-on cool factor that goes along with it ;)

The other smart outfit choices made by these women was the art of layering- which I think Kate Hudson made a masterpiece of! Not only does it allow you to control your own temperature through all the different climate zones of the airport, but it also leaves just a little extra room in your baggage for that dress that you may only wear for one night- but who cares!? ...you have the room in your bag! This brings me to my next decision- shoes. I already know I'm wearing my Red Engine Bonfire straight leg jeans, so I have the option of flats or boots. Yes, the flats do seem like the obvious choice for security reasons, but if I opt for the boots...I just gained a little more room in my suitcase for the 4" heels to go with the one-night-only dress...and I have also saved on my weight allowance :)

Celebrity Airport Style

Do you guys have any travel suggestions or lessons you want to share? Like maybe you missed your flight due to spending too much time at security undoing your over-the-knee lace up boots?!

Denim Shorts...and Boots!

Longer days and warm nights call for shorter hem lines- but that doesn't mean we have to trade in our boots for flip flops! Denim shorts are no longer assigned to weekend chores, beach cover-ups and music festivals- they have found their way to the concrete catwalks of Hollywood. With a little inspiration from Daisy Duke, these girls demonstrate how to breathe new life into a summer wardobe staple.

denim shorts and boots

Add a black _____ (insert any clothing item involving fringe, leather or suede) to your outfit, and you are automatically labeled "edgy"- but to me, there is something about these girls that is approachable and sweet. Maybe it's because instead of opting for a heeled boot, they went with a loose fitting flat boot...or maybe it's to do with the softer shapes of their tops- either way, I'm coveting this look...but I may have to reconsider it on a really hot day!

denim shorts and ankle boots

For a more understated version of wearing boots with your shorts, keep the height of your boot to ankle length. The leg-lengthening quality alone should have you rushing out to experiment with this look! At 5'1, Nicole Richie looks as leggy as Gisele Bundchen in all her 5'10 of glory! I love how unpredictable the ankle boots look with the casual tops that these girls paired with their shorts. You almost expect a tattered flip flop- but instead you get a sexy treat! On that note... I bid you a bootiful summer ;)

Skinny Jeans, Strategize for Feeling Skinny

Here are some thoughts about trying skinny jeans:

Skinny Jeans

Skinny jeans, when they fit properly, can give you a long, lean line, and are fitted all the way through the calf. Two places that they are not tight are at the knee, and the ankle.

The thickest part of the calf is in the upper back of your shin, so the legs are going to be a little looser at the knee to accommodate, especially when you have to bend your knee.

As shown in a Red Book Magazine spread, you should wear your skinny jeans with a loose top. Not only is this proportion more balanced, but you can also get away with wearing a waistband a little tighter than usual. A flowing loose top allows you to hide any waist-pudge above your waistline. I feel that it is better to have skinny jeans fit very tight on top so you don't have to constantly hike them up when the waistband loosens up, so feel free to choose a smaller fit in the waist for skinny jeans.

The last part of your jean that must fit on a skinny jean is at the leg opening and length.

There are several length options to choose for your new skinny jeans:

-You can cut them off at the ankle.

-You can also leave the hem slightly longer than you think.

Since skinny jeans are so narrow, it's ok to have scrunches around the ankle if they're too long, which is how some of the more vertically challenged celebrities are doing it. If you wear heels with them, eventually that scrunch will work its way around the heels of your shoes if they're too long. Enjoy feeling skinny!

Connie Chen
Technical Designer (clothing)
True Jeans Guest Blogger

Universal Language of Denim: Los Angeles

Well guys, our street style tour has come to it's final destination: Los Angeles, CA! Considering we started this stylish trip on the East Coast in NYC, it seemed like the appropriate place. I hope you guys have enjoyed this little project as much as I have! If there is only one thing you got out of it, I hope it was to celebrate your individuality-because someone out there is admiring you :) And no matter how many different trends there are- whether it's ripped jeans, tye dye jeans, high waisted jeans- in the end, they are all made from denim. Look into that as deep as you'd like ;) ...but do know that, yes, I am comparing jeans to the human race :)

Universal Language of Denim: Amsterdam

With Spring in the air here in Boston, brighter colors are fighting their way through the muted remnants of winter! I chose our street style tour destination today based on this same aesthetic. Nature can be so inspiring! So I bid you 'Hallo' from Amsterdam! Neon is one of the many hot trends happening right now, and I love how some of these guys have injected just a small dose of this bright color family into an otherwise pretty tame outfit!

Street Style in Amsterdam

Do you guys prefer the neon incorporated as an accessorie (like the sneakers and boots on the 1st and 2nd row) or would you prefer to make it the stand out clothing item (like the two guys in the middle)?

Men's Shoes | A Character Flaw?

True Jeans Spring Denim

Rumor has it that you can tell a lot about a man by his shoes. I personally don't buy into this theory, but there are a few authors out there that would scoff at my preference to the scuff! According to Donna Sozio, author of "Never Trust a Man in Alligator Loafers: What His Shoes Say About His True Love Potential", the most important thing a woman should look for in a man's shoes is "Condition, condition, condition. If a man can't take care of his shoes, he can't take care of you, bottom line." Hmmm- I have to disagree. Besides, the man in the above photo is my husband in his incredibly full-of-life shoes...and I can't imagine being taken care of any more than he takes care of me :) Those shoes have followed me into the deepest woods for photo shoots, they've walked next to me on my darkest days, and most importantly they've played with our dog in the middle of numerous rainstorms! In some cases, shoes can just get better and build more character with time, but I'm not opposed to a little polish on a dressier shoe from time to time :)

Even though I hope my husbands shoes have a few more years in them, I asked him to put together a spring shoe wishlist to share with all of you. With lighter weight shoes having a slimmer sole compared to heavier winter boots, your jeans may tend to get caught underneath your heel and completely ruin the hem line. One way to avoid ruining your new spring jeans would be to get them hemmed through the True Jeans Original Hem Service.

(clockwise from top left: Converse Tweed Low Ox, Kenneth Cole Chukka, UO Tonal Oxford, Diesel Runaway , Bronx Atlanta , Calvin Klein Earle )

So how do the men out there feel about being judged on your shoes? Do you rate your potential dates on the looks of their shoes? For the ladies- do you put a lot of importance on a man's shoe?

Double Denim

I'm very close to taking that leap over the fence towards the positive side of the double denim issue, but I think it could be solely to do with the girl on the left. To me- she is absolutely owning this look! The combination of the awkward stance, the hat, the red lips and the boyfriend jeans just begs to take center stage on the pages of a fashion editorial!

Double Denim Street Style

The March issue of Lucky magazine had a feature on how to master the look of denim on denim for the girls. Here are their three fail-safe ways to wear the trend:

  • dark+dark : Indigo washes have a 70's workwear appeal-and the added benfit of being slimming. So a loose silhouette works well: A baggy jacket (with the sleeves rolled) and wide-leg trousers look clean and casual. Keep it all simple by tucking in a white tee, and add patterened wedges for a bit of color.
  • light+light: Pale hues instantly lend a lighter, girlier quality, so they're great for softening the look of tough pieces like tight jeans and motorcycle jackets or rocker-ish vests. A long undershirt reinforces the lean silhouette, while a studded sandal will echo the glamorous/edgy feel.
  • dark+color: Bright stovepipe jeans are quite bold, and pairing them with black denim-in the form of a sleek blazer-is a fun and easy way to balance them out and play them up. Hit an elegant note with the rest of the outfit: a drapey silk blouse and super feminine beige heels.

Don't fret guys!...this trend can be for you too! For those of you looking for inspiration not involving skinny jeans...read on to see how Kayne West put his spin on wearing denim with denim!

So, how do you feel about this denim-on-denim trend? Have you found the perfect combination that you'd like to share?

Continue reading "Double Denim" »

Justin Timberlake on Oprah | William Rast

Justin Timberlake on Oprah for William rast

Oprah's Friday Live brought Justin Timberlake to the round table! The actor, producer, song writer and fashion designer visited Oprah to show some pieces from the William Rast spring collection. (Oprah.com)"Justin says he loves to see women wear a mix of sexy and tomboy looks...a style his girlfriend, actress Jessica Biel, is known for. "She's obviously a huge muse for me and with the designers too," he says. He also added that every woman should have a good pair of jeans and a leather jacket in her wardrobe.

In keeping with this style, the first model came out wearing William Rast's black leather jacket with studs and Jerri skinny jeans. Both models were also wearing a pair of cropped boots; a style that Jessica Biel has been seen wearing a lot lately and also becoming a fast Hollywood trend!

Justin Timberlake showing William Rast on Oprah

"Over the years, Justin has become known for his unique sense of style. "I like mixing sort of a cleanup top with the rugged jeans and like a flannel with a blazer," he says. "Try it, guys. See what happens." To illustrate his point, a male model pairs the William Rast "Ben" jeans with a flannel shirt and optical wave wool blazer."

Justin Timbelake showing William Rast on Oprah

What's the inspiration behind these looks? "I'm inspired by our president, and I'm inspired by new leadership," he says. "I'm inspired by the world, and we're expressing it."

"William Rast takes its denim very seriously. To get the creases for the line's "Ben" jeans just right, Justin says Johann, the head designer for men, wore the same pair of jeans for 18 months...without washing them."

Justin Timberlake at the William Rast Headquarters

Check out this video on oprah.com to see Justin Timberlake giving a tour of the downtown Los Angeles William rast headquarters.

Willliam Rast doesn't just look amazing on models and celebrities! Trace took to the streets of Chicago to recruit young men and women to model more looks. See the video here on oprah.com."

(excerpts and images courtesy of oprah.com)

Seasonal Transitions | Cropped Boots

If there's one thing that can distract me from what I'm working on- it's seeing the Who What Wear newsletter pop up in my email box! From the visual treat of seeing off-duty model style to suggestions for creating runway looks for under $100-this cleverly written shopping guide is worth its weight in fashion-inspiration gold!

The latest trend to appear on the Who What Wear radar is cropped boots. I don't know about you girls- but every year I am overcome with a sadness about having to part with my boots once the warmer weather comes! With the help of a few pairs of cropped boots- I can easily extend my boot relationship!

Cropped Boots and Jeans

(WhoWhatWear)"...While over-the-knee boots and ankle booties still rule for fancy, non-working nights out, fashionable celebs pick a more moderate style for their daytime activities. The favored selection-henceforth to be referred to as cropped boots-is invariably paired with a loosely tucked-in pair of deep blue or black skinny jeans, resulting in a perfectly undone, totally easy-going look.

While the way these ladies wear their cropped boots might not seem revolutionary, the subtle style tweak makes all the difference. Don't forget that up until recently, a casual boots-and-jeans look always required a pair of knee-high equestrian or vintage boots and some methodical denim tucking (one never wants to add bulk to ones calves). However, as witnessed on some of the savviest trendsetters, the cropped boot is fast replacing its taller counterpart.

As for why this look is dominating, well, we're not exactly sure. Maybe everyone loves cropped boots because they offer a weather-appropriate way to transition into a spring wardrobe? Or perhaps it's a time issue: who has the patience to zip, button or lace a boot all the way up, when you can just pull on a boot that is roomy enough to easily slip your skinnies into? Whatever the reason, we are quite taken with the look, and can't wait to showcase our favorite cropped boots, as seen on some of the most stylish tastemakers from coast to coast."

I have put together a few cropped boots that have made my wish list! Even though WhoWhatWear does do all the shopping for you- I decided I needed to do some "research" myself ;)

Do you guys put a time limit on your boots? Are there certain styles you think could stand the test of all-year-round?

Universal Language of Denim: Melbourne

G'Day! Monday's are always a tough wardobe day for me because I'm still clinging to the disheveled comfy weekend wear. So today I am going to admire the street style of Melbourne, Australia and take some pointers from a few of these polished and preppy looking people. I'm loving the blazers! If I had one, I would absolutely throw it on over my childhood horse t-shirt to smarten it up a bit! Hey...it's the thought that counts right? ;)

True Jeans Street Style | Melbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Perform Hajj

1. Hajj Preparations Hajj begins on the 8th day of Dhu al-Hijjah, when pilgrims make their intentions to undertake the pilgrimage by do...